Thursday 14 February 2013

Stephen Metcalfe MP gets a grilling from local students


Stephen Metcalfe, local MP for South Basildon and East Thurrock, received a grilling from local students when they visited him in Parliament today.

Pupils from both Woodlands School and the Basildon Academies made the most of the meeting with their local MP by quizzing him on a range of both local and national issues.

Mr Metcalfe commented: “Engaging with schools is one of the most important parts of my job so it was great to welcome the students to the Houses of Parliament and to give them an insight into what I do. They asked some fantastic questions and I hope they enjoyed the experience as much as I did.”

Demonstrating a keen interest in current affairs, the pupils asked questions on a wide range of topics from the state of the economy to Britain’s membership of the EU, in addition to more local issues such as the situation at Basildon Hospital and developments on Dry Street.

Mr Metcalfe added: “I was extremely impressed by the young people from both schools. They are clearly up to date and well informed about key issues and they certainly gave me food for thought.”

“I will continue to work hard to engage with and encourage schools throughout my constituency and look forward to welcoming more students to Westminster in the future.”