Wednesday 14 June 2017

Thank you for your support in the General Election

I am delighted and humbled to have been re-elected to represent South Basildon and East Thurrock with such an increased majority of over 11,000, winning 26,811 votes and a 56.9% share of the vote.

Across the last seven years I have worked hard to be a strong voice in Parliament for local residents and will continue to do so over the course of this Parliament.

I am grateful to voters for putting their faith in me and also to my dedicated campaign volunteers, who helped me run a positive campaign across all parts of our local area.

Whilst the election did not deliver an outright majority for any party I am pleased that the Conservatives won the most seats and a huge 42.4% of the national vote since the Thatcher era.

It is now crucial that Theresa May is allowed the opportunity to form a Government, giving our country certainty and security as we begin the Brexit negotiations.

Meanwhile locally I will continue to campaign on important issues such as inappropriate development, options for a new Lower Thames Crossing, and helping every student to achieve their full potential.