Monday 23 March 2015

Stephen Metcalfe MP calls for a re-think on Part Night Lighting (PNL)

Stephen Metcalfe, local MP for South Basildon and East Thurrock has today again called for a rethink on Part Night Lighting, pointing out that one year on, many people are no happier with the system than they were when it started.

Stephen who has consistently raised concerns about the scheme and continues to call for the lights to be turned back on said: “I am constantly made aware of anecdotal evidence that PNL lighting is leading to an increase in certain crimes and certainly an increase in the fear of crime.”

“Despite my constant call for a reversal of the policy, unfortunately at present the County Council are not minded to change their view.”

“I am therefore calling on ECC to amend the rules to allow lights to stay on until 1am. This would allow more people to get home while the street lights are still on whether they are going home after a night out, making their way back from the Station or returning home from work.”

“This is not the perfect solution, but I believe it would be a step in the right direction and also show that despite our disagreement on this issue, I and the County Council are still working together to find a more long term solution.”

“That is why I would also like the County Council to speed up the trial of LED lights and determine if they are a suitable alternative to PNL, so we can have the lights back on while still saving money.”

“I hope Cllr Bass will respond positively to my request and I know that he is keen to work with local people to mitigate the impact PNL has.”