Tuesday 17 September 2013

Stephen Metcalfe MP’s campaign pays off as CCTV cameras are switched back on

Stephen Metcalfe, local MP for South Basildon and East Thurrock, visited Felmores End, Pitsea last week to mark the return of CCTV cameras to the area after they were switched off four years ago.

The local MP has long campaigned for the cameras to be switched on after concerns were raised by local shop keepers about the safety of the parade of shops. Basildon Council will now pay the £1,500 needed to keep the cameras in operation.

The parade has become notorious for anti-social behaviour with the off-licence being the only one in the borough to use bank-style security glass to protect staff and stock. The return of surveillance I hope will be welcomed by shop keepers and local residents alike.

Mr Metcalfe commented: “I am delighted with this result. It was simply unacceptable that my constituents felt threatened when using the shops and that shop keepers could not conduct their work without fear of anti social behaviour.” 

“I am extremely grateful that this issue was brought to my attention and I am pleased that Basildon Council have listened and responded to the needs of the local community. I now hope that the cameras will make a real difference to the levels of anti-social behaviour and I will continue to work with the local community to ensure that this is the case.”