Tuesday 26 March 2013

Stephen Metcalfe MP presents poetry award at Greensted Junior School

Stephen Metcalfe MP with headteacher Mrs Farrow 
and the School Council

Stephen Metcalfe, local MP for South Basildon and East Thurrock visited Geensted Junior School last week to present the winner of the Basildon Challenge poetry competition with their award.

The recital competition, organised by the Basildon Education Services Trust (BEST), took place earlier in the month and saw children from across Basildon come together to recite by heart a poem they had learned or written. 

The overall winner was Sian Firth from Greensted Junior School and the local MP made a special visit to present Sian with her award in the school assembly.

Mr Metcalfe, who is patron of BEST commented: “It was fantastic to be able to present Sian with her well deserved award in the school assembly. I was a judge at the final of the competition so it was great to be able to follow that up and I hope it inspires the children at Greensted to get involved with other Basildon Challenges.”

Mr Metcalfe was also given the opportunity to have a tour of the school to meet with staff and pupils and to talk to the packed assembly hall about the role of an MP.

He added: “My visit was an extremely positive one and I was really impressed by the school.  The children were enthusiastic, keen to learn and very well behaved throughout my talk! I have high hopes for Greensted and I am sure this will be first of many awards that I present at to the pupils there.”